Our History – Page 1

Faith Lutheran Church of Lakewood

    (North Lakewood)

Early in the 1900s settlers started to arrive from Norway and the Dakotas.  At that time there were no churches in the Lakewood area.  In early 1908 there had been a number of meetings between early pioneers to be able to start a new congregation in the area of Lakewood.  This group ended up founding two Lutheran churches side by side in Lakewood.

One was the First Lutheran Church and to the east of it was Bethany Free Lutheran Church.

As this community was made up of Norwegian immigrants, both services in both churches were in Norwegian in the years 1910-1920. Later in the 1920s, English started to show up in their services and by the middle of the 1930s English was the main language at the services.